After months of delay, football finally gets to play

Tre Sangiacomo, Sports Editor

Last fall with many sports either being cancelled or seasons being pushed back — especially at the high school and collegiate level — many seniors did not know if they would even have a season for many of the sports. 

Football was one of these, and due to an IHSA ruling, the football season was pushed back to the spring.

Matt Harding, the head coach for Minooka, was asked about how the atmosphere of practice has been like with the season now being confirmed.

Our players have been terrific,” he said. “They have overcome adversity each and every day to get better.  As our state and IHSA change guidelines weekly we have adjusted and done everything we can to be ready to play if we get the opportunity.  The excitement each time we put on the pads at practice is just like normal.  I believe our practices gave our athletes a sense of normalcy even during the pandemic.”

Minooka will play six games this season: Plainfield East, Oswego East, Plainfield North, Yorkville, West Aurora, and Oswego. There will be no playoffs this year due to IHSA rulings. 

“I believe there was a lot of uncertainty especially when we saw all the states around us playing during the fall,” Harding said. “We kept preparing as if we could play at any time.  We wanted to make sure we used the time together to get better and build relationships.  All of this hard work that we put in will finally come to fruition.” 

Offensive lineman Dalton Westlake also expressed the team’s worries before the season were confirmed.

“We got to a point where we didn’t know if we were having a season so we were mostly worried,” Weslake, a senior, said. 

Minooka opens its season at Plainfield East on March 19.