Anglers hope to build off success

Freshman+Hunter+Petrovic+won+the+tournament+on+Aug.+25.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Anglers hope to build off success

Freshman Hunter Petrovic won the tournament on Aug. 25.

Jack Sergeant, Sports Media class

The Minooka Anglers Club is hot off a strong summer and looking forward to this school year. 

Over the summer, now graduated Allen Spencer and Colin Wurzinger placed second in the Illinois
Bass Nation High School Series.  Wurzinger and James Owen also were IHSA state champions as a unified bass fishing team. 

“You can’t be afraid to go and do stuff, I pulled the impossible,” Spencer said.

Blake Beckwith and Wyatt Pazdro also competed in the high school national championships on Kentucky Lake, but caught no keepers over the two days of fishing. They weren’t alone, over 100 boats blanked both days. 

Along with Beckwith and Pazdro other upperclassmen anglers to look out for include Grace Bullifin, George Buss, Kerry Wurzinger, Shaun Goggins, Andrew Kay, and Paige Pry

Spencer talked about the high class anglers for this year, he also said to watch out for Wyatt Pazdro.

The team also has some big changes, coach Stan Ticher stepped down, new head coach David Barney is taking over. 

“Change always affects teams,” Barney said.  “And I know having Tisch retire … there are going to be some struggles … but I feel coach Tischer has done his very best to set us up for success moving forward,” Barney said 

“I really want to get back on top at sectionals this year. Once we qualify for state, my expectations and goals are to work hard and win a state championship,” Barney said. 

At their first tournament of the school year year on Aug. 25, freshman Hunter Petrovic took home first place. 

MAC’s second tournament is Sunday, Sept. 8 on the Des Plaines River near Channahon.

Jack Sergeant is a member of the Minooka Anglers Club.