Sophomores start season as first team on new field

Back to Article
Back to Article

The sophomore football team takes the field against Joliet West on Aug. 30 at 4:30 p.m.

Collin Beasley, Sports Media class

Paige Schoolman, the head coach of the Minooka Indians sophomore football team, said his expectations were, “to turn them into varsity players by the end of the season.”

After last season, these boys are well on their way.

As freshmen, the team went 7-2. The best game they played was against Oswego East, which they won 6-0. The only points came from when the ball bounced off the receiver’s head in the end zone during a long pass play. It landed in another receiver’s hands as he was falling to the ground.  

The sophomore team is scheduled to actually be the first of Minooka’s to use the new artificial turf field, as they play before the varsity on Aug. 30.

“I’m excited to play on the turf this year and not that janky grass,” nose guard Luciano Strange said. 

Minooka’s orange and black colors decorate the endzones of the field.

“I think it looks really good and I’m thankful we had it put in,” outside linebacker Ethan Wolfe said. 

The first game this season is  against Joliet West on Friday, Aug. 3o at 4:30 p.m.

“The first two teams on the roster are solid,” Schoolman said.