Peace Pipe Chatter

Win over Plainfield Central gives girls SPC championship

Noah Ellens, Sports Media class

Minookas’ girls varsity basketball is currently making history at an alarming rate.  

By the end of their game on Feb. 1, they had a number of achievements.

Senior Cierra Bachmann scored 1,000 career points, coach Ray Liberatore was honored after a long 24 years of coaching for the Indians, the girls earned the first seed going into sectionals, and they won the conference championship.

Bachmann scored two free throws to get 1,000 point against Plainfield Central that day.

“I didn’t even know I was that close to 1,000 points, but scoring that many points means nothing without having wins to support,” Bachmann said. “I just do what I need to do to help the team.”

The Plainfield Central game at Minooka wasn’t anything the Indians haven’t practiced for. They practice all week to perfect their game day strategies of being high tempo all four quarters.

The Indians led the Wildcats in all four quarters, but they were never out of the game. At the end of the first quarter, the Wildcats were down 18-12, but their 8-0 run shorten the lead  to 22-20 mid way through the second quarter.

“It was a typical game for the of keeping it close and using their conditioning in the fourth quarter to pull ahead,” head coach Jeff Easton said. 

All the girls have the same goal: to win. The girls have a close bond that pushes them to their best for their teammates and there school. 

“This is the closest this team has ever been during my career at Minooka,” senior Caitlyn Hoover said.

Hoover added 11 points to the Indians win along with 10 points from Savannah Johnson, as the Indians closed out the game with a score of 58-48 to secure the conference championship.

The win also tied Minooka for the highest number of season wins (24) in school history.