Girls track ready for 2019 season

Sprinters+and+throwers+on+the+Minooka+girls+track+and+field+team+practice+in+the+hallways+at+South+Campus.+Their+first+meet+is+Feb.+8.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Girls track ready for 2019 season

Sprinters and throwers on the Minooka girls track and field team practice in the hallways at South Campus. Their first meet is Feb. 8.

Luke Burkett, Sports Media class

The Minooka Indians girls track and field team is gearing up for another season.

Last year, the Minooka girls won the sectional and finished second in the conference.

The Minooka had three ladies qualify for state in field events. Senior Katelyn Gall and sophomore Ava Bezaire both qualified for the pole vault.  Minooka graduate Aaliyah Young qualified in the long jump.

Minooka also had four runners in the state meet for the 4×800-meter relay — senior Vivian Van Eck, junior Julia Dames, sophomore Olivia Krolczyk, and graduate Emily Ellis.

Lucky for the Indians they are returning the nearly all of these athletes for this upcoming season.

“Our ultimate goal is to qualify as many kids as possible for the state meet this year,” head coach Kevin Gummerson said. “We would also like to win the conference title and the sectional title.”

The Indians begin their season indoors at Wheaton Warrenville South in the WWS Invitational on Saturday, Feb. 8.

Teams in this meet include Morgan Park, Solario Academy, Glenbrook South, Hononegah, Wheaton Warrenville South, and Prospect.