Peace Pipe Chatter

Poms team heads back to state

Back to Article
Back to Article

Poms team heads back to state

Bella Alessio, Sports Team Leader

Tonight, Friday, Jan. 26, the MCHS Arrowettes will compete in Coach Melissa Wallace’s fifth state trip in a row. To the seniors on varsity they have become accustomed to the trip to Bloomington every year in hope to bring home a state championship.

“The final performance at state means the world to us. Not only is it our last time dancing together on the floor, but for the seniors it’s our last time dancing for Minooka,” said senior, Molly Freeman. “It’s not about the wins or the loses, it’s about being with my team and becoming even closer with them.”

The 2017-2018 Arrowettes have been together since summer. They have come from performing at football games in front of friends and family to tonight performing for not only friends and family, but also judges watching their every move.

“At the state level the best of the best are there,” said sophomore Nina Romac.  “On Day 1 we have to place in the top 12. There are a lot of good teams and the competition will be very hard.”

Romac is optimistic about their changes.

“However, our team and our coaches have no doubt we can make it on the podium this year,” she said. “This team has been striving to make top 3 since Minooka started competing in IHSA; we are very confident this will be the year.”

This competition year has been one to remember. The Arrowettes won the Andrew High School competition along with a conference title at Joliet West.

“The Arrowettes have not won a conference title since my freshman year. To take back the title was such an amazing feeling and honor,” said Freeman.

The Arrowettes also became back-to-back sectional champions to send them to state with a score of 90.73. The score was a 1.26 difference between the Arrowettes and the second-place team Plainfield Central.

Last year the Arrowettes finished middle of the pack and are hoping to return with more fire and strength then last year.

“The past years have taught me to be kind no matter what and hard work does pay off,” said senior Emily Hull.

The hard work Hull is talking about is extra hours dedicated to their routine and creating a family connection that they have not had in past years.

“Last year we were not always close with each other, but this year we’re a family. I would do anything for anyone on this team and I think that is the most important part about being in a team,” said Freeman.

Tonight the Arrowettes will be performing in the 85th spot at 7 p.m., at Grossinger Motors Arena, Bloomington. Tickets are $10 to enter the arena.