The student news site of Minooka Community High School in Minooka, Illinois

Peace Pipe Chatter

PPC celebrates 9th ‘daily’ issue

The+2016-2017+PPC+staff+gathers+around+for+a+selfie+at+the+end+of+the+day.+%E2%80%9CThis+staff+alone+works+together+more+than+any+sports+team+I+have+been+with.+I+wouldn%E2%80%99t+want+to+be+stuck+outside+in+the+cold%2C+taste+test+a+bunch+of+different+donuts%2C+or+collaborate+with+any+other+people%2C%E2%80%9D+Emily+Cooper%2C+senior+and+school+news+team+leader%2C+said.+
The 2016-2017 PPC staff gathers around for a selfie at the end of the day. “This staff alone works together more than any sports team I have been with. I wouldn’t want to be stuck outside in the cold, taste test a bunch of different donuts, or collaborate with any other people,” Emily Cooper, senior and school news team leader, said.

Meghan Blenck, Editor-in-Chief

There’s nothing like getting a sense of what you want to do for the rest of your life.

Many members of the Peace Pipe Chatter were able to experience what it’s like to be working in the journalism field all day in room 197 on Feb. 3.

The PPC staff strived to accomplish in a single day, what normally takes them a three-week cycle to complete.

“I was nervous before the day started because I take a long time to research before I even start writing, and I was afraid I wouldn’t finish. After today I’m really excited that I’ll get to do it for two more years” Cassidy Canduri, opinion team leader, said.

The history of the daily issue started in 2009, when Mr. Matt Thomas was in his fourth year of advising the newspaper. Thomas had the idea of doing a daily issues for awhile and finally thought that their staff could handle it. The editors-in-chief that year were Angela Mateo, Sam Kelley, and Lauren Keers. They had a staff of 25 including the editors-in-chief.

The legacy of the daily issue continued today for the ninth time. The staff of 19 met in room 197 at 8 a.m.

“I look forward to the daily issue every year. Of course having to go through writing and design edits all in one day is stressful. I’m actually kind of glad that it’s all online this year, but I’m lucky I was able to get up for first hour and make to school on time … even if the fire alarm went off,” said Alexa Aspan, senior and editor-in-chief.

The staff began placing the story ideas on the board. They worked the whole day, with only a 20-minute period out of the room for lunch. The rest of the day included writing, photography, editing and designing.

“I think the daily issue prepares us for the future if any of us decide to go into a journalistic after high school,” Danyelle Myers, editor-in-chief, said. “I think the staff is the best working out of my three years of doing the daily because we came with a quality amount of stories to get done in a short period of time.”

This year is different from past daily issues because the stories will all be online at peacepipechatter.com.  Thomas and the staff decided to give readers of the daily issue the news immediately instead of the several days it normally takes the paper to be printed and distributed.