The student news site of Minooka Community High School in Minooka, Illinois

Peace Pipe Chatter

R.I.P. Vine: Why Vine died

Danyelle Myers, Editor-In-Chief

Since 2013, millions of people have downloaded the popular app Vine to laugh at loops and creative videos.

These 6-second clips were used as a way to help people capture casual moments in their lives and share them with friends or even family members. It was also a way for them to become a part of Twitter, which bought them out for $30 million in October 2012 before the app launched in January 2013.

Now, ironically, four years later, Twitter has moved from text and images to videos around the same time they decide to delete Vine.

“I wasn’t really shocked when I realized that you could start sharing your Vines on Twitter and then all of a sudden Twitter started allowing you to make short videos out of the blue,” Mya Elbrink, senior, said.

Instagram and Twitter now dominate the short, viral video scene, but for awhile it felt like there was no better place to be funny on the internet than in these compact videos. The videos were short enough so that you never got tired of them, and their partnership with Twitter made them a useful alternative to reaction gifs.

After four years of pure success, all good things have to come to an end eventually. On October 27, hours after Twitter announced a 9 percent staff cut, they also announced cutting the Vine app because it has struggled to match that growth from 2013 in the past year.

“I actually really enjoyed Vine because it was amazing to see how funny people could be in only a short 6-second clip, so I might actually miss it,” Arianna Lynch, junior, said.

On the bright side, Twitter did guarantee that it will keep the Vine website online for as long as possible and they won’t touch the Vines that have already been created. They promised that users will still be able to access and download their six-second videos. The few Vine staff members that are still left are working with makers to figure out the best plan of action regarding the app.

“Considering Vine kind of died out after our freshmen year, I don’t think it will really be missed. Nobody even made new Vines anymore everybody just reposted the old funny ones. It was already kind of dead before it even died,” Fredy Alanis, senior, said.