The student news site of Minooka Community High School in Minooka, Illinois

Peace Pipe Chatter

Many respond to call to ‘dress like a woman’

Men and women from all occupations took it upon themselves to respond via social media to Trump’s comments. They spread the significance of the hashtag and it’s personal meaning with their own photos.

Hannah Gedwill, Features Team

Recently, President Donald Trump has expressed undeniable interest in enforcing as well as emphasizing  a strict and degrading dress code upon employees, more or less those possessing a feminine identity. As a result, backlash across a myriad of social media outlets has erupted, with the hashtag #dresslikeawoman making its monumental mark.

Extremely sexist remarks and implications cornering female employees’ requirement to “dress like women” has left a widespread population of not only those linked to Trump through their career, but women pursuing careers in general, feeling stripped of their credibility and ability to produce success if choosing to dress in attire diverging from the stereotypical range of clothing choices.

The claim originates from the former reality TV star’s mindset plagued with pretentious ideals, and according to the news website Axios, dressing like a woman, a.k.a females draping themselves in dresses and a plethora of alternative ladylike garments is an imperative attribute to being viewed as a female. Without these materialistic pieces, women lack the “certain look” Trump craves to carve into their physical appearance.

Insiders who are allegedly linked  to Trump’s campaign revealed to Axios, an up-and-coming mobile news media company, that women who worked in President Trump’s campaign field offices and are public-facing, yet only on a local scale, “felt pressure to wear dresses” in order to provoke a positive image towards the president’s reputation, with complete disregard for their comfortability and confidence.

Despite Trump’s faltering proclamations that a woman is ultimately only as feminine as she dresses, a collection of women’s retaliations in the form of social media posts have swiftly and efficiently shut down any previous assumptions generated.

“Here I am, dressed like a woman, because I am a woman wearing clothes,” Victoria Chamberlin, member of the U.S Army, said.

Contributions from a vast array of women whose attire fails to conform to the ideal feminine garb have plastered inspirational images tagged with captions that reinforce the idea of the strength behind breaking standards across the internet. The hashtag’s ultimate goal is to illuminate that femininity can be displayed in a diversity of shapes, sizes, and outfits.

Female doctors draped in scrubs, army members covered in camouflage, police officers brimming in black and blue, racecar drivers layered in leather, and even astronauts have sported their support for the campaign, as these women, adorned in their respectable apparel, attach the hashtag to posted photos on the job.

Unfortunately, President Trump has acquired a rich history of demeaning the female community. This is just the latest chapter in the tale of his fraught relationship with women. During his campaign, many came forward to allege he had sexually assaulted them. Millions took to the streets in protest the day after his inauguration as a form of fighting back and resisting the act of being silenced.

Women worldwide have never been more proud to overcome massively sexist connotations and #dresslikeawoman.